21 September 2005

Fee Na Nay: I'm Going Back to New Orleans

Watching the Superfly From the Big Apple to the Big Easy on pay-per-view right now. I didn't go in person cause I'm too dead ass broke to shell out $200 for tix for me and my bird, plus she goes to bed early. I've been taping the whole thing, but pausing frequently, such as when Bette Midler came out to low and burp into the mic for 15 minutes--or was that the song?

Actually, the PPV version is mostly from the MSG show, but the simultaneous Radio City Music Hall show looked to be the money shot. They cut to it for a sec and it was fucking Allen Toussaint and Jon Cleary doing a duet of Tipitina. How awesome is that? Well, it's hard to say, cause they cut back to Elton John in a Marie Antoinette outfit sucking pole and raw-dogging a male model onstage. Or was THAT the song?

Anyway, now it's the original Meters and the Neville Brothers--playing together for the first time ever. Of course, my tape just ran out, so I'm not getting any of it, but the show is rocking. My advice to those guys is, if Allen Toussaint offers them a contract backstage, ask for more money this time.

I guess the bottom line of this entry is that I'm going back to Jazzfest. It's more of a state of determination than an abstract travel plan I'm talking about.

Listening to Kermit Ruffins and the ReBirth and (25 second of) Snooks, I realized I was committed to going back down there, whatever condition things are in (i.e. come hell, but hopefully not high water). I don't care if they hold it in a massive, churning vortex of PCB-ridden geriatric diarheea that stretches clear across Mid-City, and only 14 people and 2 bands show up; I'm going back. The real tragedy is that I am already previously engaged during this coming year's Fest. That's okay, there will still be plenty of toxic diarheea left in 2007.

So it's settled: if and when I get an email saying that the Jazz and Heritage Foundation (or whatever it is) needs my support, they're gonna get it... cause my kids are going someday, too. In the meantime, I'm going to sock some dough away for a kick ass hotel for the last week of April and the first week of May, 2007....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home